Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feeding the brain





Philippians 4:8,9
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.




I've never been what you might call a "reader" - only if you were to include reading Sports Illustrated and the sports section of the paper.  At least that's how I used to be until the last few years.   Now I do read more than I ever imagined that I would.  I still can't compare to the way my wife reads, born with a book in her hand and setting speed reading records, but I have found that the habit has grown and become a part now of my regular routine.   


Books have become a source of information, enlightenment, and even relaxation. I think my joy in reading started first when I realized what an incredible thing God's Word really is for us.   Made up of 66 books, breathed by God, without error, the authoritative Word of God.   Applicable to our life today and written so that all man can know Him.  Reading that book started a hunger to know Him more and the hunger continues to grow as He reveals Himself.   


Along the way, other books have made their way to my bookshelf and along with God's Word have continued to keep my mind thinking on the things that are "excellent."   I thought I'd share some of those on my reading list and if you were looking for something to read along with reading your Bible, maybe one or more of them might be something that would appeal to the "reader" in you.


One of my favorite books that I've gone back to over and over; Holy Transformation by Chip Ingram. My friend Don Blackmore recommended this one to me and as you can see from my notes stuck inside it, there have been many things I've taken from it.


Here are a few I've read over the past few months I would recommend to anyone looking to keep their thinking honorable, commendable, and true:


Radical by David Platt
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
The Bravehearted Gospel by Eric Ludy
Holy Ambition by Chip Ingram
In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson
The Indwelling Life of Christ by W. Ian Thomas


These are just a few, I'll put some others on my reading list.  And I would love to hear from you, what do you recommend that I read next?  



No comments:

Post a Comment