Monday, January 16, 2012

TRUST




I am blessed to have other men around me willing to pour themselves into me, who check on me, push me when I need it, and just love me as a brother in Christ.  The following was sent by my friend Wes and it is worth sharing:

In his book Ruthless Trust, Brennan Manning tells a poignant story about the brilliant ethicist John Kavanaugh, who worked for three months at “ the House of the dying” in Calcutta.  Kavanaugh was seeking clear direction on how best to spend the rest of his life.  On the first morning there he met Mother Teresa, who asked what she could do for him.  When Kavanaugh asked her too pray for him, she asked what she could pray for.  He said, “ Pray that I have clarity.” 

She said firmly, “ No, I will not do that.  Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of.”  When Kavanaugh commented that she always seemed to have the clarity he longed for, she laughed and said, ‘ I have never had clarity; what I have always had is trust.  So I will pray that you trust God.”

We all would like to know that what is going to happen in the future.  To know what the next year, next month, next week, next day, or even the next hour might hold for us and our families.   But once we feel we have the clarity we’re looking for, we are far less likely to depend on God’s continuing guidance.  In these times, it’s our trust in God that will see us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment